Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Next Commentator

Image result for weekly torah portionSimchat Torah marks at traditional branch point for me.  For many years I have studied the weekly Torah portion, usually on Thursday nights.  I pick a single weekly sage starting with Bereshit and continue with that person's comments each week through Haazinu, and when available v'Zot HaBracha.  I started with books, which allowed me to follow sages of the olden days, though while each Sedra had its insights, they were not necessarily all from the same year.  With the widely available electronic formats I elected my annual Rabbi, yes, always a Rabbi with full recognition that my wife's Torah Portion Humor has a significant following, from several sources, most typically the Orthodox Union's roster.  Until last year, I never repeated one, but I could not improve on Rabbi Shlomo Riskin of Ohr Torah Stone, adding the known Rabbinical historian Berel Wein this year along with Rabbi Riskin.  What I wanted to do last year was engage a Conservative commentator.  There are some, though they are harder to access and virtually all their programs seem to have a tag team approach with different members of the small group rotating portions.  I really want to follow one individual, not willing to compromise on that.

Bereshit renews our annual cycle shortly.  I plan to continue Ohr Torah Stone and may expand it to Rabbi Riskin's partner, though I should try to identify either a Conservative option or a much younger Orthodox Rabbi than the generally senior scholars I have followed.  Or maybe a woman.  Will look around a bit more.

No comments: