Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Less Facebook

Image result for avoid facebook


My previous attempt control time spent on Facebook lasted less than four months.  It was my intent to not access more than three half days a week, one post of mine each time and maybe some shares and comments.  There's just a lot of stuff that interests me and an entrance way to the world of ideas just seemed insatiable.  But it was really more like the lure of the Sirens which sucked the Greek mariners into their whirl.  Odysseus had two solutions, one for his crew who he instructed to make themselves temporarily deaf by putting beeswax in their external auditory canals and one for him where he could discover what was so alluring but not get there since his crew was instructed to tie him to the ship's mast.  I already know what FB does.  Beeswax, or at least a firm access schedule would likely be more effective. 

I am a little puzzled as to why my rationing of the medical SERMO went so well but rationing Facebook failed.  I think I am attached to the people of FB and a few of the groups, something I do not have with Sermo.  I also can pre-screen FB participants, snoozing or ignoring or unfriending.  Sermo does not allow that.  The best I can do is recognized the name of the poster or make a judgment on the title and move on. 

Here's the latest ration attempt.  Look at notifications every AM and PM.  Read posts on days that are divisible by 4, shutting down once done.  Can share on that day only.

See if this works any better.

No comments: