Pages

Friday, November 15, 2019

Prepping Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving dinner has been my challenge for a long time.  I would make it, planning the menu weeks in advance, then transport the whole thing to my in-laws.  Since my mother-in-law's passing, it made more sense for the people to come to us, which is how it has been.

The day and the meal have their traditions, American ones and personal ones.  Like many families, the gathering has become less populated for a host of reasons ranging from kids who have moved away to Trumpanzee relatives who avoid hostility or hard feelings by not coming.  I will cook for whoever comes.

My menu has its fixed and variable points.  Turkey remains a centerpiece, though no longer the big glorious bird which has gotten rather expensive with not enough people to eat it.  Empire makes a half-breast which I will make for shabbos sometimes and in recent years for Thanksgiving as well.  Appetizers vary.  I made something with Tofu last year.  Soup varies, typically mushroom and barley.  This year tomato with Israeli couscous seem the top choice.  Salad varies less.  Greens now come already cut and triple washed so I have made garden salads.  Israeli salads are easy to make.  I think I'll make a cabbage slaw this year.  Cranberry sauce come from the berries that I boil myself.  There are variants of this but mostly sugar, water, and cranberries.  Sweet potatoes come in a variety of preparations but there is always something with sweet potato.  I've been making stuffing in the crock pot because it is easy and keeps the oven clear for other things.  For a vegetable I get what is on sale that week.  I do not know why brussels sprouts dominate on line searches of Thanksgiving menus.  I like them but not everyone does.  And I've never made a green bean casserole.  Green beans on sale can be made plain or dressed with nuts or sauces.  For dessert, I usually make something with apples.  Strudel or apple cake this year.  The apple cake is a lot easier.  And beverage is usually soda or sparkling cider.  Last year I got wine and might again this year.
Image result for thanksgiving table



It challenges me.


No comments: