End of the month. To keep my exercise commitment humming, I need to build into the schedule recovery time and reward. Every date divisible by 3, I let the leg muscles heal. As one month transitions to the next, my treadmill time halts for three days. A longer recovery and a small reward for dedication to exercise over the previous month. It also serves as time to reflect on what my month's efforts accomplished. Longer time, faster pace? Some months, an unexpected layoff for illness, medical procedure, or travel.
It's been a mediocre month as I begin the first of three days of recovery. One day off for a colonoscopy. Reduced effort during the restricted diet. Only partial recovery by the end of the month to where I had started at the beginning. I worked through a sore right knee, getting by with an elastic brace but experiencing an ongoing soreness. My breathing never limited what I could perform, but I could tell that my cardiovascular tolerance has ebbed gradually over six months. And the last few three day recovery spans did not fully restore me to optimal for the next month.
My legs, mainly thighs and knees, can tell that I did not shirk my best effort at optimal health. I avoid oral NSAIDS, but have gotten benefit from topicals. I could ice my knee twice daily, whether exercise days or days off.
What I do not do is set treadmill goals for the month that follows. I do not know what my stamina or soreness will allow. Typically I resume at the intensity and duration where I left off. That ache never fully disappears. In the absence of real disability, my willingness to proceed with the benefits of an exercise schedule, which have been many, takes on a life of its own. Within my capacity to cope.
No comments:
Post a Comment