Pages

Monday, September 18, 2023

Doing Big Stuff

I'm feeling fuzzy after Rosh Hashanah, though very functional.  It's a transition date, conceptually from one year to the next on the Jewish Calendar, now 5784.  My Hebrew calendar, gift of AKSE, has taken its place to my right on my desk.  And I have the list of Semi-annual projects on the whiteboard to my left and the daily task list to my right.  Each has big stuff and quick do-its, though my whiteboard has mostly big stuff.  Writing a book, writing articles including one with a looming deadline, the trip to France with just a few returning loose ends, the spaces of my home that I want to upgrade.  Stuff that takes a sustained effort, a schedule, milestones.  And then there are the quick daily checkmarks, taking my weekly health measurements, checking on my plants, doing some laundry.  Do it and it's done, but these tasks will return and not advance me a whole lot for having completed them.  It's the grandiose ones, hard to do, broken into segments that all have to have time allotted, then sequenced, that give real satisfaction.  And I need the New Year to focus on them more effectively.  And maybe some external deadlines.

No comments: