Pages

Monday, October 9, 2023

Barely Looking


Very few things in recent years bring me to my state's concentration of shopping places.  There's very little I need to buy other than replenish food periodically.  Clothing I have in excess, winter and summer, though I just invested in a good pair or New Balance cross-training shoes and a new whiteboard, both supplied by amazon.com.  And I bought new deck furniture from local stores this summer.  For my trip to France I got a new camera online and from local stores two cross chest security bags.  But I need very little in the way of stuff.  Within a few minutes drive I have a Target, TJ Maxx, and Lowes plus a small hardware store that always makes it easy to get the little things for the house that I need when I need it.  Home Depot and Walmart are a little farther.  The best place to buy wine is near the Home Depot, while the best place to buy beer is next to the small hardware store.  I no longer carry a Costco membership.  Eating out is a rarity, and when I want breakfast or a slice of pizza, places a short drive from me are adequate.  

I almost never find myself in proximity of the main gathering of retailers, mostly when I donate platelets.  To be fair, some of the places near there are sufficiently unique and of interest that I consider stopping there before heading home, just a short extra drive from my usual highway entrance.  A Vietnamese market had opened, a place I would tour one time to see what they had.  For sure, things I could not get near me, but very little suitably Kosher.  And there is the region's only Cabela's where much of my fishing supplies come from.  Some off-price high-end outlets, Saks now gone, Nordstrom's hanging on.  A few places to consider eating, hoagie place, milkshake place.  And a Container Store, a place of inspiration though priced above what I am usually willing to spend.

So I had completion of a platelet donation, ending just at lunchtime.  Coffee and Oatmeal cookie in the Blood Bank's canteen satisfied any appetite for lunch, even a good hoagie or cheap but large Costco pizza slice.  Opted for Cabela's, just a brief tour.  I had not been there in maybe a year.  Easy to get to.  Ramp back to highway home just past their entrance.

Not many shoppers in their parking lot.  Entered.  Hunting on the left, fishing and camping on the right, clothing on either side of the center aisle.  I don't need anything, though a sufficient discount would create some interest in another pair of jeans or cargo pants.  No good discounts.  Good deal on Bass Pro Shop logo mesh baseball caps, but I already have a surplus of baseball caps.  Decided not to look at the game fish in their aquarium, nearly all Kosher with fins and scales.  Right face, then continue the perimeter.  If I needed, or even wanted, another fishing rod/reel combo, they had some.  Did not look at hooks or lures at all.  Glanced to my left where they keep the camping supplies as I headed to the door.  Still no interest in lunch, no interest in storage ideas for my home.  Got on highway.

Didn't need anything.  Didn't want anything.

No comments: