Pages

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Not Tired

Don't know if I'm on a productivity roll or the illusion of one.  Yesterday I spent mostly engaged with mental activities.  I did some laundry and prepared my newly scoured and disinfected aerogarden for planting.  Did a scheduled treadmill session. Other than a short drive with an aborted attempt to get discounted lunch on the WaWa ballyhooed app, I went nowhere.  Instead, I wrote, provoked some folks on Reddit, but mostly read.  And read quite a lot.  Several chapters of my current e-book.  A very long article on the inappropriate response of the political left and supportive university denizens to rationalize recent atrocities against Israelis by Hamas.  Made more than my usual Tweets, less than my usual FB comments.  Did well on crosswords.  Listened to a wonderful seminar from the Hartman Institute.  Made a video for my YouTube Channel.  Looked up two people, one of recent acquaintance, one from the very distant past who had done interesting things since our HS days.  A mental day.  A very satisfying mental day.

At the end of the day, I dozed while watching a documentary on the Smithsonian Channel, but likely only napped to the early stages of sleep.  In bed, I stayed awake, got up, read some more e-book and the long essay.  Still not able to sleep when returning to bed, but lights out.  Eventually sleep cycles took over.  My smartwatch tracker records six hours, but my recollection of the last glance at the red numerals on the clock radio and the numerals at wake time is closer to four.  Got out of bed and on to dental hygiene twenty minutes before the smartwatch alarm buzzed, then coffee, and now laptop.  No messages overnight.

Despite what seems like sleep deprivation, I do not feel the least bit drowsy.  It is a treadmill day and a morning OLLI class.  While the mental activities left me satisfied, today may be better diverted to more of a mixture of chores and recreation.  I also do not feel irritable, not annoyed with anyone or anything.  By the end of the daylight hours, the sleep deficit should express itself as fatigue with a return to my more customary surly self.  But for now, at least until treadmill time, some more reading and thinking.



No comments: