Pages

Sunday, December 17, 2023

Visit Somewhere


Winter starts officially this week.  It really starts for me when my OLLI Semester concludes, which was last week.  I try to get away periodically during the off sessions, more often a round trip without an overnight stay, though sometimes a short trip to a new place.  I have already visited a most disappointing water park.  I'd like to have a day in NYC, still possible.  And there are places closer to home.  Trains have gotten expensive, as has parking in cities.  And tolls can add up.  

Going to a single attraction makes the outing easy.  Web sites tell when open and closed.  They give not only entrance fees but ability to purchase tickets right from my laptop screen.  Train timetables are reliable.  Connections to the bus less so, and parking options often rather obfuscated or otherwise misrepresented.

Weather determines some outings.  Puttering Mid-town in bitter cold detracts from any of its amusement potential.  And having to catch a return bus after dark does not seem very inviting either.  

Museums make a good default, whether art or history in NYC or a niche collection closer to home.  Zoos are not the best place in winter, though the animals that dislike the cold even more than me have shelters that I can share while I admire them in their enclosures.  Still, zoos have more outdoor walking than I really want to do to navigate between exhibits.

Amusement parks generally close for the season.  There are some historical attractions that I've not yet seen.  Never really toured Staten Island beyond its Ferry.  And there is always the Immigration Museums where I should be able to drive, though perhaps I really don't want to drive to metro NYC as a day trip.

I've checked the weather for my preferred day.  The two selected museums both closed that day.  A drivable attraction within a half hour seems to be open, though entrance tickets limited and much of the attraction is outdoors.  But I think I want to be away from My Space enough to plan a day trip somewhere.



No comments: