Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

Danny's Four Questions

"He (Chanina ben Dosa) would also say: One whose deeds exceed his wisdom, his wisdom endures. But one whose wisdom exceeds his deeds, his wisdom does not endure"  Avot 3:10

As I do the semiannual planning it essential to keep in mind that when the six month review occurs, we are the things that we do, not the things that we intended to do.

So far my intentions for the first half of 2011 include decluttering the house, using an iPod to advance my path to sagehood, preparing for my Board Exam, meeting a variety of health end points, completing and implementing my post-retirement financial program, and nurturing a more gracious presence.  That is the wisdom that will not even arrive, let alone endure without some very specific means of doing them.

A passing acquaintance, Danny Siegel, an awesome sage who has devoted his energy to getting Jews to incorporate tzedakah into their usual activities, once sent me a note in response to a donation I had made to his Ziv Tzedakah Fund.  It being the Pesach season, he included a brief article he had written about Danny's Four Questions.  Years later, at each planning session and at each life's branch point, they still guide me.

What do you like to do?
What are you good at?
Who can help?
Why not?

No comments: