Pages

Monday, January 20, 2020

Could Use Some Me Time

Around this time a year ago, not occupied with Osher Institute or other distractions at home, I afforded myself a few days away to visit Penn State, where I'd not been before.  I had to postpone the trip by a week due to snow when I first planned to go, and the following week I braved a deep freeze and enough snow to hamper driving but not accumulate appreciably.  I had hotel reservations but otherwise no immediate plans other than puttering around the university which I ultimately did not do by virtue of school operations suspended for extreme cold.  I visited a winery, got my face numb walking around town, had my left turn signal and windshield washers fail, but go to two fine brew pubs and some driving around.

Time for a second act, this one having to work around the Osher Institute schedule.  Thought about going to Berkeley Springs where they have mineral springs but not much else.  Never been on the Harley or Herr's factory tours.  Been to a sufficient number of wineries near York and Frederick.  Could go the other direction to the Poconos.  Never been skiing or snowboarding, though snow tubing might be safer.  They have indoor water parks there, a little expensive.  Closer than driving to State College.  Not a great winery region.  Drive is about the right distance, close enough to stop wherever I want along the way if a sign captures my attention.  Probably should stop off at the state welcome center nearby and check the brochures, but a few days in the Poconos seems the best mini-escape for now.

Image result for poconos winter

No comments: