Pages

Friday, January 31, 2020

Respite from Shul

Too much.  When our Torah reader took ill, I overextended my skill by pitching in.  I don't think my skill really expanded from the effort.  They needed a ba-al shacharit or a haftarah done on short notice.  No problem, though that haftarah had more tongue twisters than I might have expected.  Need somebody to give a seminar at AKSE Academy?  I'll pitch in.  Too much.  I'm taking a month off, though not exactly since they got a little desperate for another Torah reading at mid-month.  I was not really the last resort but the easiest low-hanging fruit to pluck.

And we have Super Sunday which resurrects some of my worst Jewish experiences.  And two guys who I thought I could generated a learned discussion resorted to sloganeering as its surrogate.  I need a break.  I just lack the patience of a rabbi and any compensation for having that level of patience.

February almost never has five shabbatot but I lucked out this year, probably for the last time in my lifetime.  I put myself on the Gabbai's Do Not Call list.

So what might I do with four shabbatot off?  Haven't been to Chabad in ages.  Usually I worship at Beth Tfiloh one shabbos in February each year.  No real interest in driving to a shul I've never been to before, though I have done that in the past.  Or I could just say no shul in February, other than what I have already obligated.  Depends on whether it is shul that irritates me or my shul that irritates me.  Not sure yet.

Image result for too much shul

No comments: