Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Recapturing Bedroom Space

One of the tenets of favorable sleep hygiene is to restrict what you do in the bedroom and when you do it.  I have been working on this for a few months with gratifying outcome, though incomplete outcome.  There are now set get up times, which I follow and lights out times which I follow too.  Sleep cycles come in predictable periodicity, though mine conclude with a period of wakefulness before transitioning to the next cycle.  The experts say that when that happens, I should set a deadline for falling back asleep into the next cycle but go to a different place if still awake by that deadline.  I've not been doing that, but eventually the next cycle takes over.  And I feel better.

Master suites that realtors show customers or appear in those dream house photos offer a lot more to a bedroom than a place to sleep.  For many it emerges as their sanctuary, with electronics, sitting areas, usually with a bathroom alcove offering sensory luxury, storage space which offers access to the things you want and hiding to the things you don't.  My own bedroom has never developed its potential, and the sleep hygiene experts seem to be hinting that maybe it shouldn't.  Yet I set myself a mission of at least making that space more visually attractive and conducive to other activities.  Clutter has to go.  I've worked on it with some success.  Several years ago I bought a leather recliner, inexpensive but comfortable that too often becomes one more flat surface to put things.  Yesterday, I set a very tangible goal of removing those things, putting myself in the chair, allowing it to swivel, and ultimately reclining.  It felt good.  I could have read but didn't, though the intent was to not read in bed, which I did, but at least the book was worth reading.  I recaptured some floor.  Not all of it but some.  Vacuuming by end of week.

The daunting project may be the windows.  One has been stuck for years, should be repaired but maybe not worth the effort.  Temperature control has been solved with a window air conditioner that not only offers a refreshing breeze in cool months but white noise suitable for sleep, which is the purpose of that room.  For some reason, the duct work of the house does not bring central climate control to the master suite very well, so I purchased an attractive space heater which needs to be moved from its storage corner to its prominent and functional fall and winter location.  That corner can be occupied by an attractive storage bin, currently used for extra hangers, suitable for now but not the best option.  I am also committed to replacing the curtains.  Joann Fabrics not very helpful as what I need is the tailoring more than the choice of materials.  Lined curtains, hemmed all around, matching valance, suitable for the adequate rods already present.  Choice of fabric is almost an afterthought.  I could see what might be available online if I don't make reasonable progress locally.

And there is the closet.  Any realtor showing our house would point to the master bedroom walk-in closet.  Unfortunately walk-in implies open floor space which has been co-opted by a where it fits at the moment ethos.  To be recaptured.  I started decluttering the closet in the Marie Kondo mode, doing great on suits and sportscoats.  A lot of dress shirts don't really fit if I have to button the collar for a tie, will get me by sans tie.  They now cost a lot of money to launder, so I should dispose of some.  The Kondo Method requires all to come out at once, select for discard at once, before moving on.  Not worth it for what I need to do with the closet to bring my bedroom to fully functional and mostly restful.  

While it is my bedroom, it is really only half my bedroom.  Not being disruptive remains a priority, though one often in conflict with acting with the end in mind.  But there's still plenty I can do without generating anyone else's wrath.  Those are the things to pursue.



No comments: