Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Washing Kitchen Floor

When I redesigned my kitchen a few years ago to be the destination space I had craved, I looked at the space largely by what I hoped to do there.  Visual attraction had its element and I did not want to pay a lot to remove walls or install gas lines, but accepting the existing structure, I had the cabinets refaced, new quartz countertops, tile backsplash, and a new floor.  I selected a composite, light gray faux stone, largely for ease of maintenance.  It needed sweeping regularly and washing periodically.  Neither became routine.  As things got grungy, I thought it time to give it a comprehensive scrub, maybe finding a few lost objects in the effort.

Square tile has another helpful advantage.  It makes it easy to create regions.  Move a quadrant of furniture or cart or other things occupying floor surface, sweep and wash.  The squares make it easy to define where to expose surface as I work and to keep from repeating what I have already done.  Success.  Maybe a quadrant or a little less at a time, but all is now scrubbed.  

My placement of things around the kitchen has been fundamentally right so things can be returned to their original locations.  I did not find many missing objects, a few things better discarded, but mostly a cleaner look along with the satisfaction of having done something worth doing.  



No comments: