Pages

Monday, July 15, 2019

Storage Space

Image result for clean basement


My semi-annual projects, twelve in all, invariably include one or two home upgrades.  Since retiring, I've done much better at getting them done, though I was highly successful at refinishing my kitchen courtesy of a bonus from work.  For the most recent six month projects we have a refinished deck done a few weeks late, and while my Mancave remains less than that so far, I can sit at pursue purposeful activity at both my large upstairs desk and my more limited one in a living room nook.  These are all big projects, not necessarily expensive, though the kitchen was.  They require effort from me, planning and often plain physical effort.

My next six month endeavor has a literal part, making the basement function in its best way, and a more subtle aspect, to have a single storage destination for the entire house so that the rest of it can be less cluttered or limited to the things we use in each particular room.  Since leaving practice, I have paid a monthly storage fee which by now has added up to more than I would have spend fully remodeling the basement for any purpose I can imagine.  If I can create space in the basement, the contents of the storage space can be relocated and the monthly fees redirected to investment in my basement.

It is very large, one of the prime incentives to choose this house.  My plan thus far is to start from the center and work in a spiral pattern, keeping a trash bag and recycle container at hand as I go.  Initially this has progressed well, though I might also consider going for the low hanging fruit, paint cans that will never be used again, baby food jars intended for storing nails and screws that are empty thirty years later.  The spiral pattern seems better for now. 

I can move a lot of stuff in 30 minutes.

No comments: