Pages

Monday, February 24, 2020

Upping the Treadmill

Each week I weigh myself first thing Monday morning.  My weight has not changed in three years.  While discarding some old papers I noted a previous weekly tracking from ten years earlier when it registered three pounds less.  My target weight would be nine pounds under current.  I came close a few years ago with severe pastry restriction.  I don't recall if I felt better or worse, but at the time I was a bit overworked professionally.  Each half year when I set my six month goals, I have included a weight target which never happens.  Short of some involuntary weight loss from illness, it probably won't, so I redirected my health goal at exercise.

For years, I have avoided having my treadmill, a significant investment at the time, from becoming one more flat surface to plant things indefinitely.  In recent years, with particular attention since retirement, I set a schedule which I have done mostly a decent job maintaining, with a few lapses for lower back pain.  When I am consistent with walking, I seem to get through the preset program each session fairly easily, legs more bothersome than breathing or anginal symptoms.  I have increased the intensity randomly over the years, only to scale back following a layoff.  This time I set a six month intensity and duration goal, which I have worked toward with very few missed days.  It came time to increase the time a bit, which I did without much difficulty.  Then increase the speed by 0.1 mph yesterday, which took its toll, more on my breathing than my legs, though I can tell the difference today.  It's a scheduled day off today.  I am still three minutes short of ultimate time goal, which I expect to be able to meet and 0.2 mph short of the speed goal which seems less certain.  However, these are each significantly above the starting levels three months ago.

My weight has not changed.

Image result for walking on treadmill

No comments: