Pages

Friday, September 11, 2020

Restoring Kitchen Function

 Prosperity has afforded me a big house, all paid off years ago.  I use surprisingly little of it.  My Space has become my refuge, half a room recaptured largely clutter free with spread out desk made from Conran file cabinets and tabletop, a stereo, and a modern 55" flat screen TV.  I sleep in my bedroom, sometimes goof off there.  My six month initiatives include making it a sanctuary but one third of the way into the half-year allotted for this I've done essentially bupkis.  We eat mostly at the dining room table.  I will assume the horizontal on my living room couch and maintain some plants there, but that takes up little of the space's potential.  And then there's the kitchen.

A few years ago I put serious money, a year's bonus, to its upgrades with the intent of having it a more pleasurable destination than it has become.  Lighting and cabinets have been super.  I like the sink.  Quartz counters far surpass the original formica.  And new vinyl tile flooring and ceramic tile splashbacks make an attractive appearance.  What I have not been able to do was manage the flat surfaces which are mostly obscured with stuff at the expense of utility.  Papers, mail obscure the kitchen table.  Some appliances take up counter space.  Food that has a better home occupies the island that I bought prior to remodeling.  And the floor has too much stuff to regularly sweep and to wash with appropriate frequency.  I keep meaning to restore full utility and the fun of meal preparation that goes with it. While I do need some spousal cooperation to do this, the real barrier has been my own willingness to see the decluttering project to its completion.  Earmark this to be done between Yom Tovim and Thanksgiving.

1970s housing development | Kitchen clutter, Kitchen, Kitchen cabinets

No comments: