Pages

Monday, November 16, 2020

Almost Done


As I outline each upcoming day at 7PM the night before, I make some task notations.  A dash means I can complete it that day with a finite end point, a T indicates it requires less than ten minutes, a circle denotes a task that once done will not reappear for at least a week.  Most projects are bigger such as reading a book or replacing my bedroom curtains.  It is those segments that trip me up.  Appointments are usually fulfilled.  Making friends in a Covid environment is more amorphous.  Keeping in contact with old friends is very doable but not well focused.  More often it becomes an intersection of us each commenting separately to somebody else's FB posting, which post election have become tiring to me.  And a lot get worked on without a finite end point where it can be declared completed.  That leaves me with a lot of intentions not quite done, most significantly an article where the final paragraph before submission has shifted many times.  

I've wanted to join two organizations.  Got one of two.  Second never gets explored.  I have a trip planned to a National Park.  Don't know what I am going to do once I get there, though all reservations made.  I might even forgo it at a small financial loss if too high a medical Covid risk.  I am absolutely determined to not access social media today.  So far so good.  I've actually completed my fourth book for this half-year.  Quota of three done previously, but one more already started and probably another ten sessions until completion.  I do my two TED talks each morning, tackle my quota of two articles from The Forward with a comment on one.  I'm not as reliable at reading one article daily from The Atlantic, but once I start, I finish it.  I take my medicine and check on the indoor plants most days.  BP no longer needs measurement daily, though it is on my task list each day.  Weekly weight and waist measurements are Monday appointments, and my treadmill sessions are treated like appointments.  As much as I want to learn the harmonica, draw pictures, color with my colored pencils, go fishing and do some watercolors, those rarely get started.  

And then there is the house, a repository of partially completed efforts.  Currently I am filing and shredding papers, which relaxes me in a way. I emptied a box of papers, sorted into financial and other, and even made some folders.  Big project but seeing the once crammed cardboard box empty gave some satisfaction.  It's a milestone, but not completion.

One characteristic of ADHD's, which I might be a reasonably compensated but untreated one, is that we tend to have a lot of simultaneous projects but not a lot of completion.  From the review of my focus list, the end points need to become easier to identify.

No comments: