Pages

Sunday, November 5, 2023

Early Shopping


Hanukkah arrives the second week of December this secular calendar year, about average for its occurrence.  Thanksgiving appears almost as early as the American calendar permits.  My children will be joining us, one a long plane ride away, the other a short drive.  That gives me an incentive to get their Hanukkah gifts purchased, made, or otherwise obtained and wrapped before they arrive.  Three people, two female, one male, four gifts each making twelve.  The other eight for my wife can come later.  Not having to ship them allows me to spend a little more on the gifts themselves, as I've always worked within a fairly rigid budget since starting this tradition as a newlywed.  I start by making a grid of three squares.  Then, since I usually acquire a gift or two on summer travels, this year two, I enter them.  Next I decide where to shop.  For this project I like to think about the three people, what makes them unique, what might I be able to get them that they would not purchase for themselves, that stays within budget.  It need not be new.  The Goodwill store has things within holiday budget that would exceed price guidelines new.   And I try to shop at a few places that I would not seek out any other time of the year.

Still, I begin with an overview.  Alas, Christmas Tree Shops that I could depend on for at least one gift each has bitten the dust.  And Target and Walmart not quite right for the recipients.J

I started at TJ Maxx, the one near me, though the Marshall's/Home Goods a little farther afield has a far larger variety of options.  My son is a sports fan, so something with logo, his childhood team, not where he lives now.  Something edible always works.  So does something wearable.  And something for his use in the kitchen, as he grew up as my sous chef.

Daughter likes the interesting.  That will bring me to a Farmers Market, often one trip to Amish country.  Not much for jewelry.  Edibles not worth schlepping across America.  No liquids or sharp things for the TSA to confiscate.

Daughter-in-law likes cats and she likes writing.  And she has pierced ears.  And she has been to a lot of places, far more than I had at a comparable age.

And then wife.  Oy.  She has a birthday a few days before Hanukkah.

So on my first outing at TJ Maxx, leaving empty-handed but with ideas, I learned that I need to increase my budget slightly.  Sports logo stuff plentiful.  Kitchen stuff plentiful.  Cheap jewelry, not the best place to get this.  Unique crafting, a real zero.

My route home, small detour, exposed me to other retailers.  That complex, no.  Burlington Coat, easy to get stuff.  I really dislike the store experience.  Five Below, always good for one thing per person.  Supermarkets?  Not really.  Ulta, perhaps.  Dying mall, no. Lowes/Home Depot, usually good for one gift.  Goodwill?  Not yet.  Farmer's Market?  Already know what I want to get there, at least at the one near me.  Farther, there's a more extensive Farmers Market and a Ross which keep me within budget.

I still have time, but really want the kidlets taken care of before Santa brings up the rear at the Macy's parade.


No comments: