Pages

Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Sidetracked

Thanksgiving break has arrived. My OLLI Classes have suspended, In college Wednesday would have been a travel day.  I think public school still had classes on Wednesday but intercity travel, particularly air travel for family to assemble, was much less common than now.  Instead, Thanksgiving break has become a multifaceted demarcation point.  For some it is time off, for others seeing people not seen in a while.

My own interlude may need to focus on getting back on track.  Since my trip to Europe at the end of he summer, many of the other things I intended to do over this semi-annual cycle have found their way to the back burner.  I've done virtually no public writing, little focused reading, not been pursuing the home upgrades I thought I had aspired to, not engaged with friends as I might have.  Much of this purposeful activity found its way to screen time, those Twitter sinks or Reddit where at least my contributions are useful to other people.  I have had guests, even devoted some attention to the kitchen as I will for Thanksgiving, but at the cost of other things.  So the Did Instead wasn't nearly as valuable as what I had set out to do.

Some things have retained consistency.  Exercise goes mostly on schedule.  I get medical care largely as I should.  I have paid attention to finances and age related transitions.  But too much has gotten sidetracked with inadequate return on effort.

Thanksgiving, wife birthday, a couple of receptions, Hanukkah.  All purposeful.  Screen time, not adequately purposeful.

No comments: