Pages

Monday, November 13, 2023

Overextended

This week the organized Jewish community has arranged for a rally on Capitol Hill to protest the rising Anti-Semitism that become more visible as Israel responds to the massacre of its people a month ago.  I went to the last one a few years back, greatly enjoyed the experience, and wrote about it for the local Jewish magazine.  Organizations run shuttle buses, a 2.5h ride each way, though a very pleasant one in a modern coach.  I really wanted to go, but learned of the sponsored bus too late to reserve a seat.  It's just as well, as my weekly list of what I need to accomplish and want to accomplish has reached a record of nearly three columns of items.

Something of a challenge to put I want to do, or even separate what I need to do from what I aspire to do, into categories.  I have a medical test that needs minor preparation.  Memorial prayer for my father next shabbos requires me to attend services.  OLLI classes five days, watch the recording of the class I missed last week.  Shopping for Thanksgiving dinner.  Having a kitchen repair.  There is a big advantage to having my kid's Hanukkah gifts purchased and wrapped before they arrive for Thanksgiving.

And then there are the things I need to maintain health and keep my mind agile.  Eating judiciously, exercising on schedule, reviewing my test results, tracking my health measurements.  And my means of expression:  writing, weekly video, blog, thoughtful social media comments, reading things to which I have subscribed, daily reviews of accomplishments and annoyances.  

And then I need to upgrade portions of my living space and insert some recreation.

It's a rather long list.  And I would have gone to DC for the day if there was still room on the bus.




No comments: