Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Insomnia

I made an agreement with myself that if insomnia wakes me early I would get up and do something useful rather than thrash around in bed until the appointed arising time.  My internal rhythm seems to have me up at about 3 or 4 AM each of the last two nights.  So what takes place at those hours?  Of the few hundred cable channels that we get, I can usually find one that teaches me some history or reviews how ski goggles are made. If not, there is likely something I've not seen yet on Shalom TV, though they are starting to accumulate their share of reruns.  There are a lot of infomercials that try to convince me that they can make me thinner but I do not watch them.  Sometimes I read, sometimes I check email.  Occasionally I go downstairs and lie down on the couch hoping to fall back asleep though I rarely do.  Once in a while I write.  I try not to eat before 5 AM.   When I am reading a good Jewish content book, which I haven't for a few months,  this becomes prime reading time.  It is also prime time to listen to whatever I downloaded from http://www.yutorah.org/ but it's been a few weeks since I've done that. 

It really should be prime time for machshava, for thinking and contemplating when all through the house not a creature is stirring except maybe my nocturnal predator cat.  There is much to recommend some comfortable solitude.

No comments: