Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

Jewish Misconduct

Jewish misconduct.  The news yesterday included the arrest of an observant and generous fellow from Lakewood who may have made tzedakah a lavish beneficiary of criminal activity.  Not all misconduct rallies the civil authorities to interupt it.  My close friend stopped by my office yesterday.  We chat about synagogues and their denizens.  I've had my eye on one of the clergy for some time relating experience with sleight of hand and other activitiy that I think victimizes some of our congregants and maybe even jeopardizes our viability.  I heard more.  It's one thing for me to be on the receiving end, as I can and have walked away on occasion, even though I think I have one of the tougher hides to pierce.  It is quite another when the victims are elderly, frail, sensitive and loyal.

For the next AKSE Academy I want to include a shiur on Misconduct in the name of Judaism or perhaps one on the internal victims of the Jewish community.  I'll chat with the Rabbi about that soon.

No comments: