Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

AKSE Ad Book

Some background: Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth, my congregation since 1997, needs to raise money or to spend less. About every five years they sponsor an event to celebrate something, this time the congregation's 125th anniversary. While it may be a social bonding success, though a very transient one, it rarely makes a lot of money as up-front costs of dinner and publicity are high. The Board and organizers always seem very ambivalent as to whether the purpose of the effort is social or financial. The dinner breaks even, though if they replaced the live band with a DJ they might come out ahead. I'd expect people old enough to have hosted some family simchas to possess the saichel to realize this. In any case, the real fundraising comes from an ad book, for which Irene and I wrote a check for $118 for a half page to announce a message. I could not help be a laytz, extracting the four types of students from Pirke Avot [5:15].




There are four types among those who sit before the sages: the sponge, the funnel, the strainer and the sieve.
The sponge absorbs all
The funnel takes in at one end and lets it out the other
The strainer rejects the wine and retains the sediment.
The sieve rejects the coarse flour and retains the fine flour

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you ever considered changing the layout of
your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two pictures.
Maybe you could space it out better?

my blog post ... chaturbate tokens generator ()

furrydoc said...

appreciate the feedback. Interesting that the comment went with one of the earlier posts. Every six months or so I contemplate expanding the blog or updating it. I'm clearly an amateur with a fairly demanding day job and a hiatus for shabbos and yontiff so this remains as much a personal pastime as much as a serious attempt to connect with a fair amount of loyal opposition American Jews who have also not had the kind of Jewish organizational experiences that we had hoped. I have one writing assignment that requires me to submit on deadline. It can be difficult to do that. I'm more of a verbal person than an imaging or spiritual one. One of my posts this past year deals with that. As for timing, I try to do five a month. Note that most are completed quite early in the morning before heading off to work.

Very much appreciate the suggestions though and will make an effort at the revions