Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Rosh Hashana Week

Some transitions.  Kids start the new school year, some heading off to college for the first time.  I tie up loose ends in the office in anticipation of my new job about a week hence.  And then we have the transfer of the calendar from 5710 to 5711.  I've been writing my summary of the past year: loss of father, closure of medical office, new car of necessity, new blog induced by some friction at synagogue, reunion with friends not seen in a while and likely never to be seen again.  Much to bore other lost friends if I neglect to edit the grand message for each individual recipient.

Selichot at AKSE last night.  Rather mundane discussion of the expected topics, the successess and failures of the year gone by and how we will ask Lucy to hold the football so we may all kick it one more time to allow ourselves the score next time that eluded us last time.  As a college kid, I used to took with anticipation to selichot, particularly if Rosh Hashana occured shortly after arrival on campus.  It was my first chance to socialize with friends who had made themselves scarce the previous two months, and without the threat of exams or frat parties competing for attention in Sunday morning's wee hours or an alarm clock jolting us at sunrise.

Rosh Hashana week has some acquired predictability nowadays.  My son's birthday preparation, some Torah reading to be done, a Haftarah on Shabbat Shuva, special menus and meals to be arranged, office coverage to be confirmed and an afternoon and evening with my in-laws.  Then a one day breather, then a new professional venue to make the transition an ongoing one.

No comments: