Pages

Friday, December 21, 2018

Shabbos Approaches

Image result for shabbat tableShabbos which begins at sundown on Friday and concludes about 25 hours later has some activity restrictions that need preparation.  The main one for most observers is preparation of a hot dinner, elaborate enough to elevate it above usual supper fare.  We start with challah, an egg bread whose leftovers find their way to fancy Sunday brunches in the form of challah French toast, which can be quite good but never as good as the loaf that starts shabbos dinner.  I usually buy mini challot but last night I had pretentions of making a large loaf myself, which is a fair effort even with a modern stand mixer and its dough hook.  My enthusiasm was not the same as determination, so even though I still can, I think I'll go to Trader Joe's later and get more mini-challahs as theirs are the best and we don't seem to have any left in our freezer.

Usually I make chicken in some form, occasionally beef though kosher beef has gotten rather expensive, and occasionally a half turkey breast, which is on tonight's menu.  Lasts two or three meals and needs little preparation to get it into the oven.  Rather forgiving on roasting time as well.  Made shlishka's a few weeks ago.  Ate half, froze half, so that's tonight's starch.  Out of fresh vegetables.  Stop at supermarket or Farmers Market and get some.  And I bought blackberries which should make for a special dessert. 

This may be the earliest start time of the year for shabbos.  Keep my eye on the clock.

No comments: