Pages

Monday, March 23, 2020

New Treadmill Landmark

In the past, when I set up my semi-annual projects each June and December, I include a Health category.  As Covid-19 spreads globally, as physicians ramp into dedicated fireman mode and regain some of the public respect that had atrophied, maintaining health has come into better focus amid the threat.  Traditionally I have included a weight target, typically 155 lb or just under a 10 lb reduction.  While this would categorize as a SMART goal, it has failed to materialize over enough half-years that I changed the metric this cycle in the hope of making it more Attainable.  Instead of the end point being weight, it has become treadmill setting:  duration 25 minutes, speed 3.5 mph, incline 3%.  Except for speed, I made it with months to spare.  And I feel generally good having done this, despite an ingrained yetzer haRa that creates a variety of excuses for skipping a session.  With Covid-19 restrictions which have eliminated OLLI attendance, my main competitor for treadmill time and energy, I'm walking on pace as scheduled.  There are other impediments, mainly recurrent lumbar pain which has prevented being on the treadmill first thing in the morning but by mid-morning that excuse has evaporated.  My legs seem to tolerate the time extension.  My breathing has not been a barrier at all and there has been no hint of angina.  And with the progress has been the psyche boost of measurable accomplishment.  I could use that psyche boost.

Image result for walking on treadmill

No comments: