Pages

Monday, March 9, 2020

Pesach Approaching

Purim never got me all that enthused.  I heard Megillah, sometimes even did part of the public reading, and chuckled at the spiel jokes which squeezed out some people's creativity.  I would munch hamantaschen for the next week.  But personal immersion would have to wait for Pesach, that time of transformation.  The house got vacuumed, the carpets shampooed.  Food restrictions made me creative and an obligation to provide for a family seder kept me dedicated.  I become a planner and a doer. 

Realities of the calendar make this year's festival either a special challenge or a Pesach orgy depending on how well I absorb the tasks.  It comes after daylight savings time so ritual meals might be on the late side.  It also starts at mid-week putting first seder Wednesday night, second Thursday. Then Shabbos the following day, Yom Tovim Tuesday/Wednesday nights, then Yizkor on Thursday and the next shabbos the following evening.  And my birthday comes out during Chol HaMoed.  And First Seder needs to be transported to my in-laws.  That's a lot of meal planning. 

Meal planning has an interesting upside.  Shop-Rite has an array of food available, most expensive and with the health consequences of endlessly processed food.  By forcing menus, shopping can be more targeted.

I start with Seder, then shabbos Pesach.  Some comes essentially defined.  There's the Seder Plate with only the Charoset getting a recipe.  Chicken soup with Matzoh Balls.  Variable from there.  And with the Second Seder starting rather late, the meal will be less elaborate, largely a continuation of the First Seder.  Shabbos poses a challenge, preparation coming during yontiff.   Simple but different.

By the closing days, I'm shuled out, kitchen and dishes beaten, and just want to do kiddush and count Omer.  Started exploring some recipes while my anticipation is at a peak.

Image result for pesach menu planning

No comments: