Pages

Monday, March 30, 2020

OLLI Intercession

For at least several months I had anticipated this particular week.  The Osher Institute calendar allotted this week as spring break.  Last year I went to Newport, toured mansions, drank at wineries, dined at brewpubs and toured some childhood haunts in the Bronx that I don't really remember on the way back.  They were a glorious few days.  This year I left the destination to my wife whose enthusiasm for the week away does not measure up to mine.  I wanted to go to Pittsburgh as I had not been there before and it was just the right distance from home.  But alas, to my great disappointment but also my safety, there has not been an OLLI for a few weeks, no resumption foreseeable, and therefore nothing particularly special about this week with a pre-scheduled OLLI hiatus.  I'd still like to have gone away, and maybe choose a surrogate.  Pittsburgh must have some destinations that can be accessed from cyberspace, which is still open.  Our liquor stores are open, largely because the state does not want the alcoholics showing up in our ERs ingesting scarce hand sanitizer from the wall dispensers to mitigate withdrawal symptoms.  There is a Pennsylvania wine shelf at the megastore.  My GPS would tell me which Pennsylvania wineries would have been en route to Pittsburgh.  No brew pub fare, but I could settle some menus for Pesach fare, which I would have had to do anyway even if I could have travelled.  If I don't mind a lot of time in my car, I could still drive for the intended 300 miles, then turn around, but not really worth the effort.  These trips also have quiet time.  That I can still do at home.

Cancelled Travel Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

No comments: