Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Of Similar Mind



Image result for scroll news feedMy tablet and cell phone sign-ons begin with a news feed that I typically will scroll through.  As something objectionable appears, usually an unwelcome news source, I drag it rightward out of sight and it never appears again.  My blog must have a mystery reader with technical skill:

https://furrydoc.blogspot.com/2020/01/culling-my-news-feed.html

Since then I decided to scroll past people who would be nebbishes were it not for yichus.  To the sidelines go the squibs about descendants of the Queen, though I still have some admiration for her grandson Harry who is probably not a nebbish, and the germ line of President #45 who I judge to be without personal merit. 

So it has been every morning until today.  I tried to drag the stories but they remained on the screen.  However, three new vertical lines appeared in the lower right corner of each entry.  I opened one and found a menu.  It allowed me to Deep Six by news source or by subject.  Off to oblivion went Fox News first.  I wouldn't even open a recipe or sports score without feeling manipulated in some way.  To oblivion went the reputable places that would not let non-subscribers read the item even if I opened it.  No more NYT, WSJ, WP.  Subject blockage got pretty specific.  I would have to eliminate each Royal individually but at least I got started. 

Presumably the geeks did this more for their benefit than mine.  There's probably a buck to be made selling very specific consumer preference information.  But for now I can focus on news feeds from CNN or about physics or recipes adaptable to Kosher.

No comments: