Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Cold Snap


It's been more wintry this year than last, when it didn't snow at all.  I had made a brief trip to the Poconos about this time last year, trying some snow tubing that got a little slushy and Aquatopia Indoor Water Park that had a tolerable heated outdoor nook with just the right interface of warm water and cool air.  No travel this year due to the Covid pandemic.  Already we've had two snow episodes, neither beyond my shoveling capacity, which is just as well as I've not been able to start the snow blower.  Our two snows came with the ambient temperature just about at the interface of water and ice but once the snow has been cleared from everyplace except lawns and roofs, we have a more significant temperature drop.

Most mornings, still wearing flannel sleep pants and a t-shirt, I go to the edge of our driveway, usually to retrieve the newspaper that my wife likes to read, but sometimes to put mail into our mailbox or deposit a full box of recycling in the olive topped bin.  For the last two sessions, it's been discernably freezing, though not beyond my capacity to finish the brief chores without additional clothing.  Later in the day I typically have an errand or two, or even create an excuse to leave the house, even if a brief drive to nowhere.  With modern ignition systems, the car always starts with no difficulty, though it can take a few minutes for the climate control to warm the interior to its settings.  This time I have a coat, usually a red nylon ski parka with a beanie insulated cap.  Gloves are either kept in the pocket or the front seat of the car, though rarely worn.  Earmuffs also have a home in the car, though this year can be a little problematic coordinating with the often required oral-nasal mask.  But I rarely exit the car for more than the distance between my front house door and front car door or the parking lot and store entrance.  No ice fishing for me.  As much as I want to become more proficient with my camera for which the winter offers an opportunity, the cold gets the better of me.  But it is still bright and sunny to drive around.

No comments: