Pages

Monday, February 8, 2021

Computer Revival

My hard drive failed.  I could tell something was not right as things failed to load promptly, particularly Chrome.  My email booted me out as I was working.  Finally I got some kind of delayed start having to do with (C:) Stage 1 and Stage 2 which went through a repair.  You can find anything on the www so I checked on this and it pointed to a dying hard drive.  Having had an unfavorable experience with Staples Tech services last time, I selected the Geeks at Best Buy who for a fee took it through its paces.  They called me with the diagnosis of a failed hard drive for which I authorized a replacement.  They reloaded most of what would have been lost.  So for $265, about half of what a new computer would cost, I am back into cyberspace with a keyboard.

There were some rough spots when I got home, most notably Xfinity which always refers me to somebody from the Philippines who reads their script without listening to me at all. But in ten minutes I got the information that should have taken ten seconds, pushed the right button on my modem, and I'm back on the internet.

I've set new screen wallpaper, selecting easy rather than optimal. And the computer responds much faster. Sent off a Letter to the Editor on my congressman's wrong vote.  Checked that I could get on FB and Twitter.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.  This falls short of perfect, but so far pretty good.



No comments: