Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Cheap Earbuds

 

Everyone in San Francisco handled their electronics differently than me.  They all typed on their flat screen devices with their thumbs.  I learned to type by pointing with my finger, then forcibly almost mastered touch typing with all fingers except my left thumb.  And people in SF type that way on their keyboards, and a lot faster than I do.  But flat screens are navigated with the thumb of each hand, cradling the device with the palms.

And everyone wore earbuds, all wireless.  Some with a Giants cap, some without.  And pretty much all the earbuds were white.  I could not tell if they were listening to anything Bluetooth at the time otr if the earbuds were more of a fashion accessory like a watch, something to have on for when you need it.

This is not exactly without precedent.  I still have a functioning Walkman, a device I hardly ever used.  In its day, people would connect themselves to visible headphones and a cassette, putting themselves in their own world when commuting to work or exercising.  There were ways of keeping the hands free with accessories such as a belt with a case.  But people who wore this made themselves oblivious to the non-auditory environment.

I once had a cheap set of wireless earbuds, assembled them and lost the case.  I saw some at Five Below, about $9 and they came in several colors.  A purchase for later.  But needing a respite, I went to Boscov's where they had a rack of them, no frills for sure, at a clearance price of $5.  Made by, or more likely distributed by ESI Cases.  Worst that could happen is that I am out $5.  Easy assembly.  Plugged into USB Port of computer. 

What is supposed to happen is a red charging light flashes while charging, then goes completely red when fully charged, and the light on the earbuds turn blue.  Not happened.  Left charger in wall overnight. Still flashing.  They have a tech support access.  Give it the rest of the morning, then contact them.

No comments: