Pages

Thursday, July 6, 2023

Heat Wave

While it has not been impressively hot, unlike some other places where friends live, outside has gotten humid enough to make the air conditioner attractive.  My house probably has a design flaw, with the central climate control underperforming in the master bedroom, where I have installed a window air conditioner and an electric space heater.  I use the air conditioner a lot more, finding its sound a helpful source of white noise, along with the benefits of sleeping in relative cool, which may date to evolutionary times.  While not particularly tired this morning, I found the ambient temperature and its anti-dote, a down comforter, with enough attraction to make me oblivious to the red numerals on my alarm clock for an extra hour.

I really don't need to do much outdoors other than retrieve the newspaper before the heat and probably check the front and back gardens.  The herb pots out front gave me a mixed result.  No dill this year, after a few sprouts took root.  Stuff I bought already planted has remained adequate for culinary use.  Backyard garden has not done well but needs some weeding, maybe some thinning, and with a little luck green beans may be on the way.  Yet it is very hot, so I won't stay outside very long.

Don't know how our downstate beaches will fare.  People on the sand recognize humidity.  Likely the surf will attract people who would just sunbathe in less humid weather but see a need to cool off in current circumstances.  

For me, not a good day for the park.  Good day for air-conditioned car and for addressing clutter in the basement, which is always naturally cool.



No comments: