Pages

Friday, July 28, 2023

Heat Wave


It's been a hot month.  And a humid one.  And I think a rainy one, but that's my impression without seeing the actual data.  What rain we have experienced has been of a soaking type.  

I've stayed indoors more than I might have liked.  Really haven't gone fishing, though a few rods remain in my trunk.  Went to beach once.  Went to State Fair.  And anticipate another day trip to my favorite coastal destination and to an amusement park with a water park component.  Not nearly as much gardening as I anticipated earlier this spring, though with a small green bean harvest.  And one outdoor dinner, but no sessions on my deck's antigravity lounger. And not been to the putting green at all.

Room AC in bedroom at moderately high intensity most nights.  Appreciate both the coolness and the white noise.  AC at home keeps me inside, AC in car keeps me on the move.  And the basement is naturally cool, so I have no excuse for not setting aside some sessions for making it more functional.

There remains some scientific inquisitiveness within me.  The earth has gotten warmer, though loss of glaciers, ice caps, and feeding challenges to the polar bears are better evidence of this than how dependent I have become on AC.  It was certainly hot in the summer months those years I lived in the Midwest.  This summer, while hotter than my recollection of previous summers, probably is not a good enough justification to merge it with other political stances.  Some personal or local adaptation is a better option for me.  It may not be for people whose livelihood forces them outdoors, the farmers, the construction crews, the landscapers, park rangers, and our sanitation crews.  Whatever the cause, whether a consequence of our industrial success or a cycle of nature, we don't really have the ability to make the globe cooler, at least not by next summer when the weather services will make another set of comparison measurements.  We may just need to limit exposure for the people who cannot find shelter in the AC as easily as I can.

No comments: