Pages

Friday, July 7, 2023

Comfy


Supreme comfort did not set in until almost time for the Sleep Tracker to turn on its daily wake-up music.  I had gotten up with my once nightly nocturia a little early, 2:45AM.  Two hours later I was awake, though still horizontal.  Timed efforts to return to sleep, 30 minutes of left lateral decubitus, 20 minutes of supine, neither session recognizing the subtle wrist buzz at session's end.  Eventually I succeeded in returning to sleep, though I don't really know what time.  But with less than an hour to anticipated wake time as I glanced at the white numerals on my smart watch, I found myself unusually content, fully wrapped in my down comforter, back of my head in the middle of my poly-fiber pillow, feeling just the right amount of warmth.  I knew the music from the Sleep Tracker app would conflict with my enjoying these moments of creature comfort.  For the first time, I selected snooze, then hyped myself to dental hygiene and the day's start when the music returned.

The tracker monitors phases of sleep over the night.  Deep, less than usual, Awake, more than usual, about two hours by the app's algorithm.  REM and light sleep typical of other nights.  I do not feel optimally rested, but reasonably functional to do a few special projects today.  But now I know that maximum overnight bliss requires redistributing the down in the comforter with a few shakes, then head on pillow while down traps my heat while I stay sandwiched between the mattress and blanket.  I do not know how many hours that can be maintained.

No comments: