Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Long Trip


Essentially allotting nearly two weeks to visit France.  Approaching the packing stage, what to take, what to leave home, what contingencies I need to anticipate.  It's been many years, probably five since my last European cruise, that I packed a large suitcase as a check-in, though for a few long drives I've put into my trunk a duffle that an airline would not allow in its overhead bin.  Rather steep surcharges deter checked baggage.  I don't know yet if I can avoid it.  On Rick Steeve's tours on PBS he tries to get his tour groups to travel light, as he does himself.  I could see if the hotel has a laundry, though not listed on its website.  I suppose if our tour moved us every 2-3 days to a different place, I'd want something I could carry, though my trip to Israel did that and big suitcases moved with us.  A baggage fee, now expected, is as good a nudge as any to be selective about what I take.  Other than my eyeglasses prescription, things needing photocopying are done.  And I have to move my spare eyeglasses from the car's center console to my backpack.  Parking documents copied, Directions to EWR parking on Waze App.  Fill gas tank before I go.  

Seasonal weather projections are about what they are at home, perhaps slightly cooler at times so some layering and long sleeve options need to be available.  Maybe only two pairs of walking shorts.  The hotel does not seem to have a pool.  It does have treadmills so include exercise shorts and a few t-shirts, my joint braces, and shoes that can go on the treadmill.  I think my usual walkers and boat shoes will suffice.  But mostly chinos, perhaps jeans, and collared polo shirts.  And I'll assume no laundry.

Tour guide and airline sent me pretrip info which I read.  For some reason my ticket has a suitcase allowance but my wife's does not.  We purchased them separately, and even adding the baggage fee, hers cost less.  Looked at the hotel's website too, and its reviews.  Hardly any mediocre reviews.  Either the guests loved it or hated it.

And some fantasies about what Paris is like.  I went out for coffee today, Panera.  Nothing quaint or elegant about Panera. At mid-morning the number of pastries on display in the case was a fraction of when I was last there.  Some breakfast souffle's in the case.  Looked a little overdone and priced considerably higher than when I last ate one pre-pandemic.  They had a few outdoor tables but as part of a strip mall, no people to watch walking by.  SF when I visited a few months ago seemed too dirty to offer outdoor seating and vagrants detracted from people watching so they didn't offer it.  I think of Paris, at least my hotel district near Champs d'Elysees and the Arc d Triomphe as having more of an urban charm.  The hotel itself seems like a mega city hotel with a breakfast buffet, more geared for a convention than reliving anniversary romance.  But it's not part of a strip mall or a cluster of places to stay off an Interstate exit.  Expect to have ample time to wander around and see how well the experience of Paris meshes with my imprint.

Still a fair number of things to do before heading there.


No comments: