Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2018

Hanukkah Gifts

It has been our family tradition, a carry-over from my wife's family's tradition, to offer one gift of nominal value each night to everyone in the household and one total to the others on the list, slightly above nominal value.  We tried to have the kids each get three, one for each parent, one for the other, but that system has been very inconsistent.  Our household is now depleted to two, with kids semi-settled just a plane ride or UPS delivery away, so the talley for this year and the previous years comes to eight for wife, four for each child, with wife getting eight for me and four for each child.  That way we each open one per night. 

I'm doing well.  Got three for my wife, one for daughter, all things difficult to duplicate, though with online purchasing, nothing is really difficult to duplicate. 

This year the festival arrives shortly after Thanksgiving which spares me the ordeal of traditional post-Thanksgiving retailing.  Categories help.  One edible, maybe one wearable, one with our sports team logo.  It's a challenge for me, but has always been one of making me think more about the recipient than I might otherwise have.  And that's probably the essence of gift selection.

Image result for hanukkah shopping list

No comments: