Pages

Monday, November 26, 2018

My New Instant Pot

Image result for crock pot express multi cooker

It's still in the box on the back seat of my Honda where it has been since purchase about a week ago.  I had $48 dollars to spend, having harvested every five dollar bill that I received in change the previous six months, accumulating $130 of Me Money that way.  Some went for a No Soap Radio, some for an electric shiatsu back massager and the remainder for the Instant Pot which was on sale at Shop-Rite for $50.  So now my culinary skills have moved to the modern age.

First item, milchig or fleishig?  I tried to get some feedback from users on kosher.com but their interactive site faltered so I signed onto Facebook which had a community of kosher instant pot users.  As expected, fleishig uses dominated, particularly chicken preparation.  There was advice to start with pareve, advice to get a second one at the bargain price.  People even get an extra for Pesach, which seems like an extravagance to me but they write that it simplifies preparation for that holiday.  My own meat consumption has not been much and preparation largely limited to shabbos and special events these days, so I'll start milchig.  Got some mahi mahi which should be a suitable introduction.

While I look forward to using it, the real horizon for me might be the common connection to other kosher users.  As I open their profiles, they are mostly young women with young children, scattered around North America mostly but not exclusively, a few men.  Not many bubbes who probably still use the oven or have adapted to the microwave.  We'll see how the fish goes and I'll let my new electronic friends know.

No comments: