Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Afternoon at Cape Henlopen

Change in scenery after travel restrictions has been long overdue.  Not that I don't like my house which can be restful, challenging and times exasperating.  I just need to be someplace else sometimes.  Cape Henlopen State Park offers both a fishing pier and a beach.  It had been my intent to divide my day among the two, but later than planned arrival pushed me preferentially to the seashore.

I took what I needed and some things I probably didn't need, as internet access on the beach had a oddly welcome absence.  Beach chair set up, easy to find a territory with a two meter radius of separation from other sun worshippers.  Masks off, New Testament opened to where I left off at First Corinthians for the daily four chapter quota, some camera shots of the beach and some waves breaking, a couple of relatively ineffective spritzes of newly purchased spf 50 sunscreen.  Regrettably, left sunglasses in car.  This being early in season, the water felt chilly.  Nobody other than a few hardy kids got seriously wet.

So who shared the space with me?  It was a work day, for many a welcome return to work day.  Not a lot of working age men there.  More women of all ages than men.  With school out, whether a place where attendance is taken or in front of a screen at home, I would have expected many more children and young parents.  Fear perhaps.  Attendance at the shore seemed predominantly an older cohort, most younger than me but not by that much. 



Some of the en route amenities could have been better.  I typically stop at a WaWa for lunch and snack.  Soda machine shut down, milkshakes and hoagies too expensive and more economical bagel sandwich removed from menu.  DQ alternative for better milkshake at other end of parking lot fully closed.  Grotto Pizza carryout lunch special about half again what is charged at home.  Finally settled on a slice of rather good wood-fired pizza from a strip mall near the local high school.  Cash only.  I was surprised at how little cash I had, since most things are purchased by card, though I've not been to the ATM for a withdrawal in months. 

One of the purposes of a welcome respite is its conclusion with a more energized return to daily priorities.  That part of the mission seems fulfilled.


Map of cape henlopen state park


No comments: