Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Enhancing Kitchen's Function

While I still had a substantial income, I diverted a significant annual bonus to revising my kitchen.  Most of the upgrades were cosmetic: painting, wallpaper, new floor, new sink and cabinet facing.  A few were functional, particularly lighting and quartz countertop.  Now it has to function, as it contains everything I need, unfortunately probably more than I need.  We have a way of allocating any flat surface from the refrigerator to each chair with whatever fits at the moment.  I finally declared no more and set kitchen function as a priority to be addressed in a purposeful way every day.  Our refrigerator got a forced purge, partly from Pesach and partly from a shattered glass bottom shelf, replaced at considerable expense, along with the broken frame that held it.  While there is still room for improvement, I can find pretty much what I want in the refrigerator.  I have kept the cabinets mostly purposeful, designating a place for everything.  Drawers not as good but not bad.  It's those flat surface that hold mail that never get open, journals that have never been formally subscribed, food from supermarket that never really has a clear decision of what I want to reasonably access and with what level of ease.  I set the priority this week, starting with the table.  Almost done.  Then the island.  Then the counters, then the chairs, then the floor, then the cart.  Never quite the pantry.

dining room table | Random Snippets & Apertures

No comments: