Pages

Monday, August 24, 2020

Our State Primary

2016 Delaware Primary - Election ProjectionMy State Primary Ballot, registered Democrat, sits unopened on my kitchen table.  Some campaign literature has arrived.  Covid-19 prevents rallies but the candidates have allotted time for themselves on the phone to call candidates directly.  I've received three personal calls, answered two.  Only one race interests me, the state senate, held by an incumbent of long standing, who inherited the seat from her late husband who I am told was a prince of a fellow.  Though she is a Republican, she is not a Trumpanzee by any means, and stands for very little publicly beyond making sure the traffic lights in her district have all three colors and maybe some arrows.  We could do a lot worse.  The Democrats have three people vying for that seat.  One of them might be a lot worse and that one has the endorsement of my party's politicos.

Delaware elects mostly good people.  Scandals are few but not zero, abuses of position and threats to opposition have come mostly from Democrats, unlike nationally, and those have been few and largely corrected by the voters.  We have good people.  I've met most of them.

Much to my surprise, our Senator, Governor, and Insurance Commissioner, each competent and popular, have primary challenges.  So does my state representative sho I have gotten to know.  He's one of the state's electoral prizes, a man of competence, insight and energy.  Our US Congresswoman, another individual I greatly admire, has no opposition.  Neither does our County Executive, the son of a friend, who unlike his predecessor has no hint of misconduct.

So the only one to dispatch in November, other than the President of the US, is the State Senator, not that she is a bad person, she's not, but because her party demands some loyalty that could move this nice lady to not such a nice lady.  So I look at three individuals.  One I know personally, a likable fellow from synagogue, one of our Kohanim.  I knew nothing about him until his campaign literature arrived.  Apparently a retired teacher who now does tutoring professionally.  Have no idea what he taught or why he retired, as he seems a little younger than most retired teachers.  And like most people in my synagogue, he seems to stand for very little.  I guess I am for effective classrooms.  Have yet to meet a candidate who is opposed to effective classrooms.  I am for road maintenance.  Don't think anyone wants to have to replace a tire prematurely due to a pothole.  I am in favor of people being able to go to the doctor.  There you will find some opposed.  But he's for, just like me.  

The endorsed candidate I think will qualify as a prototypical Tax & Spend Libtard, as long as it is somebody else who pays.  Agree that the minimum wage increase is long overdue.  Don't agree that police funds should be diverted to preschool day care.  There's a fair amount of what strikes me as moral relativism in her statements.  She's not Jewish, but strikes me as one more sharp manipulative entitled lawyer who would become an opportunist Federation Operator if she were.  I won't vote for her in the Primary.  Will I vote for her in the General Election, as she is the party endorsed candidate?  As much as I want a blue wave, the lady who's there now is not dangerous and not objectionable.  This lady may be objectionable.

And then there's one that I actually found favorable from her campaign literature.  Retired police officer who works for a non-profit now.  One of those people who raised her family, stands for decency and equity,  Looks like she gets my vote, if only by default.

Will take my chances on a Mail Ballot on this one, dress up like King Arthur in armour to unseat the President.

No comments: