Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Stuffing Our Freezer

10 Reasons You Need To Clean Out You Freezer And Refrigerator


There was a time when I used to go to Philadelphia roughly quarterly and return with a large amount of Kosher meat which would occupy our freezer.  I had kids at home at the time, we ate more meat than now, and never bought a dedicated freezer to expand what was the top compartment of our refrigerator.  Kosher beef and poultry are now readily available in a dedicated section of Shop-Rite.  We eat much less of it, but our freezer always seems to be crammed.  When I see meat on sale at Shop-Rite, I get it with less regard to need.  Same for frozen vegetables.  We keep two cartons of ice cream most of the time, thought the size of each carton has been reduced from 64 to 48 oz.  Hardly any ice cubes.  Luigi's Water Ice makes a quick pareve dessert.  And we have frozen what was left of the Hamim I made the shabbos before.  We have a variety of cold packs, some intended to keep a lunch cool which we never use, and others intended to reduce swelling or inflammation of a damaged body part, which we also don't use that much.  Finding space can be a challenge so I have not been buying as much stuff that needs freezing.

That is until my last trip to Shop-Rite when they put their frozen section on sale.  Cut up Empire Chicken.  Luigi's.  Tabachnick Soups. Turkey Hill Ice Cream.  Earth Balance Parve Margarine, my preferred kind for pareve baking. Hebrew National Hot Dogs and Knockwurst.  Dr. Praeger's Garden Burgers.  Phony Parve chicken and meatballs.  Took some spacial insight to find a place for everything.  Needless to say, our next week's dinners will originate in the freezer.  Start with some garden burgers, french fries and brussel sprouts, none of which need to be pre-thawed.  Took out salmon portions for tonight which do require thawing.  Judicious on ice cream.  Brought sugar cones which limit how much I can take.  And I've been meaning to make something with phyllo.  Maybe even live a little more dangerously so I can extract one of those cold compresses.  We'll live out of the freezer this week.

No comments: