Pages

Friday, August 7, 2020

Sent Home

Blood Donor Deferral Policy | HemAwareIt was to be a periodic platelet donor morning.  Sleep was restless with one significant interruption, leaving me tired, though two hours in the Blood Bank's recliner, while not exactly snooze catch-up, usually got me to baseline function by my session's conclusion.  Alas, today's session never materialized.

My questionnaire looked good, BP under control, weight a little less than it had been, largely with some minor effort on my part.  The slight downtick on my home scale was probably accurate.  Then the fingerstick Hb.  12.9 g/dl with threshold being 13.0.  Repeat on a finger of the other hand by a different nurse who had rescued my eligibility once before.  11.7 g/dl.  That's probably not right but it's not close to 13 either, so my morning finished about two hours before planned.

I also defer treadmill after platelet donation sessions, so that's now back on tap for later today.  And I spent a little more time at Shop-Rite and got a few more things than I would have had I gone in the afternoon.

Since my Hb has been hovering just over or under their threshold for a few donor sessions, I anticipate that my volunteer days may be approaching the end.  I'll run out the clock a couple of weeks, try to offer another donation, and since I have an appointment with my new doctor at the end of the month, if there is still a concern about anemia, a formal lab CBC can be obtained,

No comments: