Pages

Friday, August 14, 2020

The First Rise

Challah - Once Upon a Chef

My anniversary dinner coincides with Shabbos dinner this year.  Normally, this is the only day that we consistently go out for dinner, ready to spend a little extra on elegance, but between Covid-19 and shabbos, some form of elegance at home seems the more inviting option.  No Zomick's mini-challot out of the freezer for this.  I arose at my usual time, did basic FOMO catchup, then downstairs to begin what I hope will become a dinner worthy of the education.  To my surprise, I had not used the good stand mixer since Pesach, so down to the basement, schlep it upstairs, wipe the bowl and beaters, and begin.  Recipe? sort of yes but with a catch.  All kosher cookbooks have a challah recipe. Though not identical, they are variants, usually uniform in proportions of water and flour.  Some call for sugar or honey, most call for oil.  The number of eggs vary as do the final instructions for coating the prebaked loaves with egg white, egg yolk, or whole egg.  I pulled a book not used in a while, sort of followed the quantities adapted to a more empty nesters appropriate one loaf rather than two, though by now I have enough familiarity to add more oil and sugar that what the book specified.  My dough came out a little too sticky but smooth from the dough hook, so I only had to supplement with flour and knead slightly.  Into an oiled metal bowl with a towel over it, affording me a two hour respite while it optimistically rises.  Ordinarily I try to do the dishes as I go, and I will later, but I had a rack of milchig ones from yesterday to finish first.  Let them dry, put away and convert sink to fleishig.  Now I have plenty of egg shells to clear the disposal, something not available earlier in the week.  The cookbooks never remind the baker to separate the challah portion, something I invariably remember to do with no prompting.

Menu also calls for a bread pudding, kept pareve, which I also vary from basic principles.  Have potatoes so it's a potato kugel this shabbos.  Vegetable could either be fresh green beans or cauliflower.  The green of the beans probably makes a better presentation.  I have minute steaks.  I also have a variety of fresh herbs.  Sage and Rosemary in the backyard garden.  Mint and parsley in the front containers.  Basil and thyme indoors.  Some for salad, some for kugel, and maybe some mint in bread pudding.  Anniversary dinner deserves wine, red from Spain sitting in my car a few days.  And a card, also sitting in my car, to be filled out before shabbos.

Having recently crossed the two year retirement threshold, I find myself a little recreationally challenged.  I like writing or expressing my comments to what others have written.  But I also value time in my own kitchen.  More so now that I no longer follow recipes literally but can put my thoughts to what somebody else has written in a cookbook, just as I can with online remarks.

No comments: