Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Platelets Second Act

 Somebody somewhere should have access soon to my latest contribution of platelets, donated successfully after being disqualified about two weeks ago.  My Hb at the initial presentation measured 12.9 g/dl and at follow-up 13.1 g/dl.  Boundaries can be arbitrary, of little clinical importance but allow important safety procedures to move along efficiently.  It looks like my baseline going forward with be about at the 13 g/dl cutoff.  A little up, they take the donation, a little down I go home and give it a second go in a few weeks.

Usually I schedule early in the day, but for convenience to them, and neutral to me, I accepted an opening at mid-day.  Platelet donors were few but whole blood donors plentiful, leaving a much fuller waiting room and longer check-in than previous morning visits.  My turn arrived, it all went well.  BP remains on target, weight on their scale stable and down from its peak.  Once settled in their recliner, the afferent and efferent lines functioned well, I turned on a mediocre Marco Polo series on Netflix and used it to time actual donation as time in recliner though not time of blood transit.  About 2 hours and 10 minutes.  Since my left hand is still more functional than my right, I opted for that side to squeeze the balloon, making my left wrist painful to extend within a half hour.  By completion, I felt well, just a tinge of transient lightheadedness as I took my first steps, not hypocalcemic but very stiff, struggling to arise from the recliner, walk toward the canteen, or move any joint in either arm.  Over three hours had elapsed since I first walked in the front door, a good deal longer than usual.  Within a few minutes, my arms limbered enough to have a snack.  They no longer leave the snacks at the tables as a form of Covid-19 restriction but a request for a chocolate chip cookie pack and a diet Pepsi was promptly delivered.  

Before the donation, I had made plans to reward myself.  Had I been turned away, I would go to Costco nearby and get my glasses adjusted.  Had the donation been successful, I would go out for breakfast the next morning, something I typically do right before the AM donations.  It was successful, but I don't really have any inclination for the Hollywood Grill which makes better pancakes than I can at home.  I do not know what restrictions they have on dining there and they delayed their usual opening by two hours.  May not be worth the effort.

Platelet donation helps couple grow closer and help others | Local News |  dothaneagle.com

No comments: