Pages

Monday, January 18, 2021

Managing Twitter Contacts

Twitter has begun deplatforming selected prominent individuals and organizations.  They have no reason to come after me, and haven't.  Of all the popular social media options, this has been the most problematic for me. I still don't know how to best derive benefit from the resource.  There have been false starts, many disconnects.

Since people of prominence, some more famous than others, express themselves and invite feedback, large cohorts of people enroll in those contacts.  I have as well, but I found it a little too much like going to a sports stadium with thousands of fans who cheer or jeer or throw virtual beer bottles but have little impact on anyone else there.  I have no way of knowing which respondents are scholars and which are trolls, which comments have substance or which attract or repel me solely by my own view which either aligns or conflicts.  It does not really capitalize on the expertise of the celebrity being followed.  All these people have other forums without the verbal gladiator spectacle.  I have subscribed to a few of these, all unfollowed within a few weeks for largely the same reason.

And then there are people I know.  My editor, an old electronic friend, the organization of another old friend.  They rarely post and rarely interact.

And then there are organizations that present stuff of interest:  AJC, our Governor, the state University, perhaps our local Jewish Federation.  Some appear a lot, some rarely, virtually none responsive to me.

And I have my own way of initiating conversations.  I also have some followers.  If I ever post anything, response is minimal.

Mostly its a wasteland of people seeking a spectacle. Some of those spectacles have caused responses contrary to public interest, even worse than throwing snowballs at Santa as a mass stadium uprising.  People can get hurt.  People have gotten hurt.  Thus selective deplatforming.

My participation won't hurt anyone, but it doesn't contribute either. In the vast universe of cyberspace, there are many preferable places for me to appear.



No comments: