Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2021

Plastic Bag Ban

My state pretty much eliminated those ubiquitous plastic grocery bags effective a few days ago.  I made my first shopping venture under the new law today, just to replace kcups.

While the law is new, my commitment to reusable grocery bags is not.  Pre-covid I used them most of the time, largely as a personal aligning with the long term best interest of our planet.  I had purchased one from Trader Joe's, two with a Shop-Rite logo.  In addition, multiple organizations have provided flimsy burlap textured sacks as promotional items.  On each supermarket foray, I would put a few into each other, then into my basket.  Covid changed this.  Trader Joe's stopped accepting them.  Shop-Rite would not let their cashiers bag them and the self-service checkouts either limited to 25 items or for the larger quantity self-lanes did not offer plastic bags when my own supply of home packaging was inadequate.  Between the grocery unfriendliness to my good intention, I just stopped taking them with me.  Now that I need them again, I cannot find the ones I bought at the supermarket.  There were a few faux canvas containers in my kitchen so I took a few with me, though I could have just carried the coffee with the receipt.  A box of 60kcups fit perfectly into one of the bags.  Now I need to search kitchen and car for the rest.



No comments: