Pages

Friday, January 15, 2021

Petty Rewards

Each evening at about 7PM except shabbos and yontiff I generate a list of what I would like to do the following day. It's a long list with four categories: personal projects, physician projects, home chores, and family/financial. By far, personal initiatives comprises the fast majority of what I seek to do each day.  Some are easily defined with clear end points like a treadmill session or swallowing my pills.  Others really don't have finite activities to determine their completion or are components of long term initiatives. However the classification appears on paper, the list far exceeds what I can do which is in turn longer that what I should do, and that exceeds what I will have done by the next evening's review.  Yet on reflection, most days I can do more than I did.  My habits are not bad.  I get up on time, go to My Space, ration social media.  What I have been doing better is defining what done means and rewarding myself as quickly as I can.  It helps to pre-define the reward. Making the reward relevant to the task undertaken has not gone as well.  Most rewards are petty.  A drive around the extended neighborhood, some herb tea, later in the evening some sherry, a return to FB which has become too much of a sink to call a petty reward.  Or sometimes the reward for a mitzvah is another mitzvah, so completion of one activity can be reinforced by moving on to a more satisfying activity.  But whatever the reward, it seems to keep my projects better defined and keeps me on track.








No comments: