Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Tested Negative


A letter arrived from the Blood Bank.  They tested my blood for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies , detecting none.  I'm disappointed.  They had sent a notice that they would be testing all donor blood for this through the end of this month, so I had planned to squeeze in my next platelet donation a few days early to have this, but now it can wait until the following week when the new month arrives.

In the four decades that I have been a reliable donor, with a 50 donation lapel pin to show for it, this is only the second time the blood bank has passively notified me of my results.  The first came many years ago when they found me to be CMV-negative.  I have no idea why they tested for this, but with the notification, I became eligible for platelet donations, which I have maintained a few times each year.  Platelets with incidental plasma provides more value to a blood bank than whole blood fractionated to its components, as it is less readily available and the need by the recipients is usually more critical.  Donors in my category are usually honored to help out.

SARS-CoV-2 antibodies have less established utility, as the disease they treat is a newcomer to the world of health scourges.  There is evidence that large amounts of antibody can keep Covid-19 patients with ARDS on an otherwise unlikely survival path, so it can be a very useful thing to offer, though far less established in efficacy than platelets, RBC, or various plasma components.  I'm disappointed at not being able to help out more than I currently do, but the platelets and plasma still have people who will benefit from them.

Alas, my RBC have other antigens that limit recipients.  B-antigen, Rh+ so even my red cells have a restricted number of people who can safely use them.  Can't save everyone but can aid some people.  Not that I want to acquire Covid-19 even with recovery that generates natural antibodies.  I'll let the vaccine boost those when it's my turn.

No comments: