Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2021

Visiting First State Park

Despite having lived in Delaware for forty years there are still some places I've not seen, even some very close to my house.  Our Senator thought every state should have a National Park, ours being the only state to lack one, so with some influence one was cobbled together over several sites.  Two are historical locations that I had visited, one a nature area that I hadn't.  But now I have.  It lies at the junction of Delaware and Pennsylvania, in an area known mostly for DuPont family estates but the road not previously travelled took me past some preserved farmland and a functioning dairy.  The park itself has signage but not much else.  For the benefit of visitors, the National Park Service provided a small parking area along a placid section of the Brandywine Creek near a picturesque covered bridge.  Some picnic tables and a grill or two stand near the northern bank.  I do not know what is near the southern bank or how to get there.  A few crude trails or quasi-trails offer access from the parking lot to the river, which I looked over.  I didn't see any fish but saw a hardy swimmer near the far bank.  Fishing is permitted with a Delaware license, from which my age exempts me, but not within 100 feet of a swimmer.  

To my great disappointment, there was also litter, despite this being a carry-out park and an alcohol prohibited one.  Pizza and beer make for a quick picnic.  There were no litter bags in any of the dispensers.

Didn't encounter any wildlife either.  Will have to return with my fishing rod, or even give fly fishing another go.



No comments: